FR8 Solutions Dispatch is here to help you start your new over the road trucking company right! Starting a new company can be scary and exciting. There are many requirements that need to be completed and factors to take into consideration. We have put together a list of items, some of them commonly forgotten, to get checked off before you hit the road.
Bottom Line: What do you need to make per mile to be profitable?
- What is your overhead cost?
- It is important to know all of your numbers before hitting the road. That way, you will know exactly what you need to make to be profitable.
MC Number: A new MC can be difficult when booking loads. Patience is key when you have a new MC.
- A lot of brokers would like to see it in service a minimum of 3-6 months
- Solid references will be requested
DOT Requirements: Our DOT department at FR8 Solutions is available to help!
- Are you up to date on ALL DOT requirements to start running OTR
- Are you aware of current HOS (Hours Of Service) and Personal Conveyance laws?
- Is your IFTA (International Fuel Tax Association, inc) account set up?
- Do you have your ELD (Electronic Logging Device) installed and set up?
Insurance: Agent / Minimum Requirements
- Find a reputable agent that has experience working with over the road trucking companies. They will ensure you are adequately covered and they understand the importance of a quick turn-around when requesting ACORD Certificates (required when booking loads).
- 1,000,000 General Liability
- 1,000,000 Automobile coverage
- 100,000 Cargo Insurance
Equipment: What type of trailer and equipment will you need?
- Trailer types: flatbed, step deck, RGN, van, reefer, hotshot, etc
- Investing in good quality, reliable equipment will help to ensure things will go smoothly. Straps, tarps, chains and binders, pipe stakes, load bars, dunnage, friction mats are all necessary (depending on which trailer you decide to purchase) to allow more options for booking loads.
Getting Loads: Off-Site dispatch will save you tons of stress and money.
- FR8 Solutions has an established network of brokers and experience finding the best loads and negotiating top dollar rates for carriers.
- We handle all communications with your driver(s), brokers, shippers, and receivers.
- Hiring FR8 Solutions Dispatch team is not a luxury, it is a necessity. Our experience is a great investment into your company.
- Cheaper than hiring a full-time dispatcher on payroll, making FR8 solutions a fiscally sound choice for your business.
- Keep you and your trucks moving- don’t use your valuable driving hours finding good internet service to search mobile load boards, call numerous brokers, negotiate rates, fill out contracts, request COI’s (Certificates of Insurance) and wait for a confirmation to get back on the road. FR8 Dispatch handles it all.
- Hiring an off-site dispatch team also saves you money with office equipment and supplies. No need to buy a printer, paper, ink, or fax machine. Eliminates the need to purchase your own subscriptions to load boards.
Tracking/Scanning: Be prepared to download tracking apps and scanner apps.
- Some brokers will require you to download their tracking apps.
- A good scanner app will help you send quality copies of documents to your dispatcher and office administrators.
Flexibility: Be flexible on where you want to go and how long you want to be on the road.
- Establishing yourself as a reliable company can take time. Initially, it may be helpful to be flexible with the areas you want to work in. It will help in creating relationships with brokers, so later on, you can be running in your desired areas.
FR8 Solutions is here to help you every step of the way. We want you to be successful. Give us a call to see what we can do to get your business moving!