Staying Healthy on the Road
69% of truck drivers are obese
14% have Type 2 Diabetes
22% take medications for High Cholesterol
The CDC reports that only 25% of drivers exercise per month. With millions of drivers across the nation, these are scary numbers. Transportation industry workers have the highest risk of chronic health problems out of any occupational group in the US. Fortunately, there are steps drivers can take to fight these odds and improve their health.
How to Exercise on the Road:
Shoot for 15 minutes of exercise each day. Just 15 minutes of movement and exercise each day can drastically decrease the odds of a heart attack and/or stroke as well as give your body an energy boost. There are exercises that require little or no equipment that can get your heart pumping. This is a great YouTube channel designed for truck drivers.
- jumping rope
- resistance band workouts
- small hand weights
- yoga/workout mat
- jumping jacks
- high knees (kick up to tires)
- Foldable bicycles weight ~45 lbs and don’t take up too much space
- walks around the truck stop
You can purchase a subscription to a fitness app. There are tons available so finding one that fits your workout style and goals isn’t hard. This will allow you to find workouts using a gym and outdoor or small spaces. Don’t forget a fitness watch. These provide great reminders to get up and move. It will allow you to keep on track with those fitness goals.Eating Healthy:
Exercise is just one piece of the puzzle when it comes to staying healthy on the road. What we put in our bodies can have a huge impact on our health. Here are some ways to eat healthier:
- Invest in a portable stove/food warmer/slow cooker to keep from purchasing fast food on the road. We found this on Amazon with good reviews.
- Meal prepping before hitting the road and heating the meals up can save you $ and offer healthy, home cooked options.
- Shaker bottles and protein shakes can be easily stored and prepared in the truck
- Keep healthy snacks available
- Drink tons of water
- Chewing gum can help keep your hunger at bay
The main thing to remember is to make small changes every day. A small change today can lead to a big outcome in the future. FR8 Solutions is committed to helping your business run better and keeping you safe and healthy!